Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Song of the Day: Big B + Sri = Happy Me - Main Aisi Cheez Nahin from Khuda Gawah (1992)

Today's 'Song of the Day' is in response to the ongoing (and confirmed) reports of Sridevi and Amitabh Bachchan coming together once again on-screen in Balki's next film.

When I think of Amitabh & Sridevi, the first thing I think of is the 80s movie Inquilaab and the song 'Bichhu Lad Gaya' ... but then I can't forget the EPIC-ness of 1992's Khuda Gawah. This movie was the ultimate for me -- the pairing of these two was practically spiritual in my world.

Khuda Gawah is a tale that carries you from Afghanistan to India and back again -- detailing the lives of a larger-than-life Pathan named Baadshah Khan (Amitabh Bachchan). He falls in love with the bewitching Benazir (Sridevi), but they are separated due to complicated circumstances and Baadshah Khan is jailed in India.


In their many years of separation a daughter is born to them, named Mehndi (Sridevi, again). Baadshah Khan also befriends the jailer in India, who names his own daughter Henna (Shilpa Shirodkar). The corrupt inspector of Baadshah Khan's jail ends up getting killed and Baadshah gets the blame -- leading the inspector's son Raja (Nagarjuna) to grow up hating Baadshah and wanting revenge. Mehndi grows up under the care of Baadshah Khan's best friend Khuda Baksh (Danny Denzongpa) as her mother becomes mentally disturbed when she is told that Baadshah Khan is dead (he isn't, he just wants her to move on since he's stuck in jail indefinitely).


When she hears what happened to her father, she sets out to India to find him and bring him home. Mehndi and Raja end up meeting and falling in love. But then both Benazir and Khuda Baksh are kidnapped by the very rival that framed Baadshah Khan, which leads to a final showdown with all our players in the deserts of Afghanistan.

Yes it sounds like a crazy mess but I seriously LOVED this movie. You cannot help but love Baadshah Khan and you root for him all the way. And the songs in this movie are phenomenal! My favorite was always 'Mere Watan Main' - a duet between Sridevi and Nagarjuna (I wonder if they spoke Telugu to each other on set?), but because we're talking about Sri and Big B, I have to go with 'Main Aisi Cheez Nahin' -- a challenge of sorts between Baadshah Khan and Benazir that comes very early in the film. I ADORE this song and love the fiery chemistry between the leading two. Sridevi is FIERCE and Amitabh is so distinguished. And Danny! I love Danny!

So here's 'Main Aisi Cheez Nahin' from Khuda Gawah, sung by Mohammed Aziz and Kavita Krishnamurthy

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved Sridevi - especially in Mr India. Most of her films I saw when I was young, and I can't claim to have seen many since (including this one). But I will definetly check this out - nice review!

    Amaluu, thanks for following my site but have you read any of my posts lately? Check out my epic (other followers' word not mind) post Rating Aur Hating:
    http://bollyhooha.blogspot.com/2011/05/rating-aur-hating.html

    Please leave comments! (other blogs get regular comments but not mine boo hoo lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow its a very good post. The information provided by you is really very good and helpful for me. Keep sharing good information..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Porsche 993 Turbocharger

    I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once watched a version that had the English translation/subtitles for Main Aisi Cheez Nahi, and they were FABULOUS. I wish I could find that again. The statement/response challenge between Baadshah Khan and Benazir was so compelling; a great beginning of their courtship.

    ReplyDelete