Tuesday, June 12, 2012

3 Songs that gave me unrealistic expectations of home-building/buying

Anyone who grew up with Bollywood films is no stranger to unrealistic expectations. Bollywood gives us epic love, familial relationships, friendships, etc. Not to mention the music being piped in from the trees for us to run around and sing to, as well as back-up dancers in coordinated clothing with choreography all ready to go for your spontaneous song (WHY ISN'T THIS REAL?).

But these songs in particular gave me the silly notion that it would be totally easy for me and the epic omg one true wuv of my life to run away from the big, bad world and build ourselves a home somewhere. Now that I watch HGTV, I know it's not so simple. But wouldn't it be neat if cute cottages just appeared out of nowhere with the efforts of one puny guy from the boondocks and the automatic decorating skill of a spoiled rich girl who previously lived in a hotel lobby?

Dekho Maine Dekha - Love Story (1981)
Starring Kumar Gaurav and Vijeyta Pandit, sung by Amit Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar



Ok so granted, they're only talking about a dream cottage in this song, but then in the next few scenes of the movie they are actually living in the house they built. That easy huh?

Akele Hai To Kya Ghum Hai - Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988)
Starring Aamir Khan and Juhi Chawla, sung by Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik


Yes I'm sure little Raj and Rashmi would be able to build a safe, liveable space for themselves up in the mountains. But I DO love this song, it is possibly the sweetest and saddest little song (if you know what's coming for our main characters).

Humne Ghar Choda Hai - Dil (1990)
Starring Aamir Khan and Madhuri Dixit, sung by Udit Narayan and Sadhna Sargam



Aamir seems to make a habit of running away with his lady loves. So in this one he chops some wood or something and makes enough money to buy their little Little Tikes playhouse, but still, those things are expensive. I have kids now, I know. I like how they were living in a tent before.

BONUS SONG: Kadhal Sadugudu - Alaipaayuthe (TAMIL) 2000
starring Madhavan and Shalini, sung by SPB Charan
*I chose the Tamil version vs. the Hindi one from Saathiya because I'm biased and like most of Rahman's music in Tamil better than Hindi, except for maybe Rangeela.*



At least by the time we got to more modern movies (early 2000s) it was a BIT more realistic. I mean here we have Maddy and Shalini who've been kicked out of their homes and they found this sort of cool exposed brick place. I think the square footage seems excessive for Chennai though. I always got the impression that they were squatting, although at least Shalini's character is a medical student (resident?) so perhaps she could afford the place on credit knowing she'd make it back. FYI, who knew that hanging laundry to dry could be so romantic.

Anyone have any other good ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment